Saturday, June 19, 2010

Life Is Too Short to Drink Bad Margaritas


My husband and I are admitted margarita snobs. The mix can't be too sweet, it must be strong, and there's gotta be plenty of lime flavor. Whether you opt for a salted rim or not, that's your business (I personally do). But the other elements are non negotiable. So when I was let in on a secret margarita recipe from a friend of a friend the other day, I got busy whipping these up. As we speak, my oven's cranked up to 400 degrees, I have no air in my apartment, and summer is in full swing. What better way to usher in Father's Day weekend than with a batch of these babies.

The clincher is that this cocktail is based on a mix from a surprising source -- Trader Joe's. We've tried just about every margarita mixer under the sun, except this one. The second magic ingredient is Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice, which I've seen in the market but never used. And the third component, good tequila, of course.

It seems so simple, hence its brilliance. I'm not one for superlatives, but this is our new favorite summer margarita recipe ever. Try it this weekend...you won't be sorry!

DIRECTIONS:
Fill a mason jar, or lowball/old-fashioned glass, to the brim with ice. Pour in tequila to the halfway point (this seems like a lot, but it's mostly ice). Then, fill the glass to the top with the Trader Joe's Margarita Mixer. Top it off with one tablespoon of Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice. Stir. Garnish with a lime wedge. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. They sound great. I would really like to try it but we don't have Trader Joes here.

    ReplyDelete